Creating a laundry room you’ll enjoy! Design and Transformation TipsSep 12, 2018
Does anyone really enjoy doing laundry? The sorting, spot-treating, washing, drying, folding, putting away seems like an unending cycle of chores that must be done. It might not be fun, but there’s something comforting in knowing that you’re not alone: everyone has to do it. If you’re going to spend so much of your life doing laundry, though, it’s a good idea to have a laundry room that’s a pleasant place to be. With the right design and a little bit of ingenuity, you might even create a laundry room that you can enjoy.
- Make laundry easier by using your laundry room space efficiently. Consider the tasks you need to complete in your laundry room, dividing the space into wet and dry zones. Your laundry room should have a logical flow that makes it easy to go from washing to drying to folding, so if you’re designing your space, try to arrange appliances in a way that facilitates the process. If you’re just looking for ways to make your existing laundry room more functional, look for places where you can put shelves to store the things you need, within reach of where you need them.
- Consider counters. If you have space, counters are great for folding clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer. If there’s not room, consider a cart or table that can be rolled in and out or folded away as needed.
- Space for hanging makes air drying a breeze. Built-in is better, but if that’s not an option, a rolling clothes rack is also handy. Don’t have that kind of space? Consider a fold-down clothing rack that fits behind the door.
- Make it durable, and keep it well lit. When you’re choosing finishes for a laundry room, consider all they’ll need to withstand. When installing lighting, think about the time you’ll spend in that room caring for your family’s garments. You need to be able to see what you’re doing, and your space needs to feel bright and cheerful.
- Whatever the size, make your laundry room yours. You may have a huge space, with room for counters, a sink, a full sized washer and dryer, and maybe even a crafting area or desk. On the other hand, your laundry room might be a tiny closet, with stackable washers and no room for much else. Whatever it is, look for ways to build with convenience in mind and stamp it with your own style.
At Bay Home and Window, we’re experts in custom design, and we can help you create the perfect laundry room. Our expert designers will work with you, taking stock of your space and your lifestyle in order to create the perfect configuration to meet your needs. For custom pantries and closets in the San Francisco Bay Area, created to meet your needs, call (925) 264-6746 or contact us for a free in-home design consultation.