Conquer Spring Cleaning Like a Pro
As winter comes to a close here in the Bay Area, you may be looking forward to warming temperatures and dryer conditions over the summer. Welcome the changing seasons with a little spring cleaning. Not sure where to start? With our guide, you can conquer spring cleaning like a pro!
Spring Cleaning Tasks
These once-a-year chores are perfectly suited for spring:
- Wash the windows: Wait for a cloudy day, and then tackle your window washing project. You can skip the chemicals – plain water or a mild, non–toxic cleaner is more effective than harsh products that leave streaks and attract dust. Wipe your windows with a microfiber cloth or squeegee for a beautiful finish.
- Clean window and door tracks: Loosen debris with an old toothbrush, and then use the brush attachment on your vacuum to remove it. Wipe down any remaining stains in the track with a wet cloth or sponge.
- Launder curtains and dust blinds: Take down your curtains and toss them in the wash according to the instructions on the care tag. For delicate fabrics, you may want to stick with using your vacuum’s brush attachment. Also, clean the blinds to remove a year’s worth of dust and grime.
- Clean oft-forgotten areas: It’s easy to overlook some surfaces during your weekly cleaning routine, but remember to prioritize door knobs, door frames, baseboards, crown molding, light fixtures, ceiling fans, and air registers every spring. Clean these surfaces with a damp, soapy sponge to remove dust and grime.
- Get the carpets cleaned: Remove lingering stains and odors from the carpet once a year. You can have this done professionally or rent a deep-cleaner to do it yourself.
- Freshen your furniture: Vacuum and shampoo upholstery, condition leather, brush suede, and polish wood. When you do, your furniture will shine like new!
- Clean under and behind furniture: Dust bunnies tend to accumulate under the couch and behind the dresser. Pull furniture out of their usual places to sweep and vacuum underneath them.
- Declutter and donate: Assess the clutter that has accumulated over the past year. Gather items into bins that you plan to toss, sell or donate. Return everything else to their rightful places in each room.
- Complete a home safety checkup: Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Check the inspection date on your fire extinguisher. (If you don’t already have one, purchase a fire extinguisher and place it in your kitchen). Change the HVAC air filter, and schedule maintenance for your heating and cooling equipment.
Room-by-Room Deep-Cleaning Tips
In addition to your regular weekly chores and the spring cleaning tasks you only do once a year, tidy and clean your home one room at a time with these deep-cleaning tips:
- Rotate and flip mattresses.
- Wash the bedding, including mattress pads, bed skirts, and pillows.
- Organize your closet and dresser. Consider donating anything you haven’t worn in the past year.
- Clean out the medicine cabinet and throw away expired medications.
- Organize the vanity and linen closet.
- Wash bathmats, shower curtains, and liners. Replace any that have worn out.
- Scrub the shower and bathtub.
- Soak the showerhead in vinegar and scrub it with an old toothbrush to remove sediment.
- Clean and reseal tile grout.
- Empty and clean the pantry, fridge and freezer. Throw out any food past its date.
- Vacuum the coils behind or underneath the refrigerator.
- Clean out your cupboards and drawers.
- Wipe down cabinet and drawer fronts.
- Deep-clean the oven, stovetop, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and other appliances.
- Sanitize the sink and countertops.
- Store or donate small appliances or cookware you never use.
- Clean and reseal tile grout.
- Deodorize wooden cutting boards and seal them with mineral oil.
- Sharpen knives.
Living Room & Home Office
- Launder throw blankets and pillows.
- Clean out and organize the entertainment center.
- Consider donating old electronics or movies you never watch anymore.
- Disinfect remote controls, computer keyboards, and mouses.
- Clean TV screens and computer monitors.
- Dust the inside of your desktop computer with compressed air.
Laundry Room, Mudroom & Entryway
- Empty and dust all cabinets and shelves.
- Clean the washer drum and blow out the dryer vent.
- Sweep and mop the floor.
- Wash or replace mats and rugs.
- Organize the coat closet.
Basement & Garage
- Declutter and organize storage areas.
- Hose out your garbage cans and recycling bins.
- Sweep the floor.
- Consider having a garage sale this spring.
Exterior Spring Cleaning Checklist
The warming weather means now is the time to fix up and repair the outside of your house:
- Give your home a fresh paint job: Whether you touch up damaged areas or completely change the color scheme, spring is the best time of year to repaint your house. A professional job should last 10 years, so make sure it’s done right.
- Power wash the exterior: Remove dust, dirt, and grime from your stucco siding, concrete driveway, wood deck, brick walkways and other hard surfaces around your property. Hiring a professional ensures the proper pressure setting for the surface you’re cleaning.
- Freshen up your patio furniture: On a low setting, power washing can effectively clean wood and wicker furniture. You may also need to touch up painted chairs, clean glass tabletops and apply a fresh protective finish to hardwoods.
- Clean and repair the gutters: Make sure they are leak-free and mounted securely to your house. If the gutters are clogged by leaves, pine needles, and other debris, clean them out to ensure rainwater drains properly from your roof.
Update your home – unclutter your life! Bay Home & Window offers customized storage solutions for your closets, home office, TV room, garage and other spaces such as your pantry, laundry room, and mudroom. Our built-in solutions create a place for everything, eliminating chaos and uncluttering your life.
To learn more about changing the way you live with superior home storage solutions, please contact Bay Home & Window today at 888-766-5919.
- December (3)
- November (3)
- October (1)
- September (1)
- August (4)
- June (4)
- May (6)
- April (3)
- February (4)
- January (4)
- December (5)
- November (4)
- October (4)
- September (3)
- August (5)
- July (2)
- June (5)
- May (4)
- April (4)
- March (3)
- February (5)
- January (4)